1800 Regency Dress

June – November 2019

An apron front Regency dress from Laughing Moon’s dress pattern #126. Made from a 10 yard length of Indian cotton voile. This was more than enough fabric for a long, trained skirt. The bodice is lined in bleached muslin.
The only change I made to the pattern was replacing the separate ties with a waistband-tie. I think this adds some stability and also looks more “correct” to me. The ties runs through four thread loops, and are secured inside the front of the dress. The bib front and the inside plackets pin closed. However, I should add buttons to the bib. Getting dressed on location, without a mirror handy, is pretty typical.
I put sooo much handsewing into this one. The skirt seams are hand felled, bodice seams are prick stitched, armholes overcast, belts and hems all handsewn, bib front sewn by hand then whipped to the waistband, etc. Incidentally, a warning to those with perfectionist tendencies: cutting an Indian block print is not for the feint of heart. These fabrics are printed by hand. So nothing is perfectly aligned. You have two choices for cutting your pattern: either align it with the grain, or align it with the print. You can’t do both. Choose your doom.

As far as undergarments go, the difference in silhouette between my Laughing Moon short stays, and a modern bra, is minor. In fact, the stays may be less desirable. The straps compress everything inward. Which is the opposite of what one wants, for Regency, as you can see illustrated in the artwork above. This is the second pair of Regency stays I’ve made, but I’m loath to try again anytime soon. A bra is more comfy and less bulky at the shoulders. Additional undergarments include the Laughing Moon Regency chemise and petticoat, and a tiny Hunnisett bum pad.
In these photos, I’m carrying a sandalwood fan. The yellow pointy toe flats are leather. Bamboo coral jewelry was assembled with beads from Fire Mountain Gems. The curly bangs and braids are by Jennylafleur. They’re very easy to work with and I’m looking forward to using them again for other eras. I also made a simple Timely Tresses Camillia bonnet between Nov 2020 – March 2021, in a dark blue silk taffeta.