February – September 2017
Butterick #5748, retro 1960 dress. In a yellow floral quilting cotton.
I found this charming, sunny, floral print in the discounted cottons. I’d been hunting for fabric for a retro dress for some time, and there was plenty on the bolt. So I made sure to pick up enough for a full circle skirt. This Butterick pattern #5748 fit the bill. But more importantly, it’s a sleeveless, basic, dart-fitted bodice. So a nice pattern for trying out a new era.
Naturally, it took about a dozen adjustments to get a snug fit. And my pattern could still use some work. But fit aside, I made a few changes that could be noteworthy to other sewers. As reported on PatternReview.com, the shoulder seams are oddly placed a little forward of the shoulder. So they were scooted back and centered. The very low back was raised 1/2″ to cover my bra straps, but they still show. It could use at least another 3/4″ of height. Finally, I’d never made a bodice that closed with a side zipper. Apparently, if I don’t wish to be trapped in my dress, the side seam must open completely. This bodice had the zipper stopping 1″ from the top. I’m curious if this is a common problem. The circumference around my shoulders is almost exactly the same as my husband’s, and I briefly considered asking him to put on the dress to see whether he could get out of it. Thought better of it.
These terribly uncomfortable, barely wearable shoes were picked up at Goodwill. I already had the knit bolero. My new Malco Modes petticoat, the Meghan, is perfect. A fabric-covered vintage belt and buckle kit was a nice side project. Final bits of the ensemble: vintage twist back earrings and purse, and new lipstick.